Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
Did you know that for you to have your website, or blog, ready to go it takes less than 5 minutes?!? This step-by-step guide helps you build your site and have it online in a matter of minutes.
1. Web Hosting: The first thing you have to do is choose a service for hosting your website. There are plenty of options out there, but our #1 choice is Bluehost (by the way, it’s the hosting service we use…). Bluehost is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, regardless if you are a newbie or a seasoned web developer. It’s very easy to use (you can install WordPress with just one click using the automatic installation) and has an excellent 24/7 customer support. Bluehost is an excellent choice, also because it allows you to use the same hosting account for other websites. This means that you pay for only one hosting and you can have as many websites as you want! Click here to get your Bluehost hosting plan and get started to build your site in less than 5 minutes.
2. Choose a Domain Name: When choosing a domain name (that’s the www address) you want to pick up something that is relevant to what you do. If you want to know more about how to choose a domain name you should have a look at our article How to Choose a Domain Name. Keep in mind that you can pick up your domain name when you sign up to a hosting plan with Bluehost, but you can also use other tools.
3. WordPress Installation: We recommend you use WordPress, one of the most popular CMS (content management systems). This might sound crazy to you, but with Bluehost, you can automatically install WordPress within a few seconds. Simply log in to your Bluehost account and go to “Website Builder”. Click on the WordPress icon. You will be redirected to a page (called Mojo marketplace) where you have to click on “Start”. Once the installation is ready – it’s a very quick process – you will receive an email with the log in details to your website/blog. Keep in mind that WordPress uses the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) system, a system of text and graphic that is easy to use and doesn’t require particular coding or programming skill.
4. Congratulations, Your Site is Online! 🙂 Pat yourself on the shoulder, your website/blog is now online! There is one more thing we would like you to know though. Or maybe two… First of all, you shouldn’t worry if you are new to WordPress. It’s very easy to use and by simply typing “wordpress guides” on a search engine you will find plenty of useful, and in most cases free, how-to guides. If you want to change the theme, the way you site looks, simply go on your website WordPress dashboard and choose “Appearance” > “Themes”. Now you can choose between several themes!
5. BONUS: This is a piece of advice, a sort of secret ingredient we would like you to be familiar with. It’s true that WordPress is free and comes in with a bunch of free themes (a theme is the layout of your site)…however, there are some incredibly looking premium themes that will help you take your website to the next level. Premium themes offer you advance options, sometimes not available with free themes, and a unique layouts that can help you chance the way your website looks without the need of you being a season programmer or coder. There are plenty of options you can choose from, but there are two in particular that are highly recommended:
Themeforest is THE place to look for when talking about WordPress themes. The website is really easy to navigate and have WordPress themes organized by categories (e.g. Blog/Magazine, nonprofit, entertainment, corporate,…). Like WordPress, Themeforest has a vibrant community and it’s really easy to get advice or give comments to the developers who have created themes, as well as to other users. Themeforest also offers “free files of the month” and “special offers” newsletter that inform you each time Themeforest is giving away resources (yes, also free WordPress themes) for free or at a discount price. Sign up now (it’s free) and take your website to the next level.
Do you remember you page you were redirected to when you were about to install WordPress? Ok, that’s Mojo Themes. Like Themeforest, it’s an excellent place to go looking for WordPress themes. What makes Mojo Themes special is the fact that they have a wide selection of themes (if you see a theme you like it’s very likely that you will find it on either Themeforest or Mojo Themes) and it’s bundles. If you sign up to the Mojo newsletter, you will receive a notification every time there are special offers. Sometimes, some of these offers include special edition bundles, packages that contain several WordPress at a very discounted price. If you want to be up to date with the latest Mojo Themes trends and would like to get your free Mojo account, click here.
Undoubtedly, WooThemes is one of the best friends of every WordPress! WooThemes is an international platform that provide a variety of innovative themes and plugin that you can purchase to improve the look of your website.
RECAP: The Tools You Need To Build Your Website/Blog in Less Than 5 Minutes
- pick a relevant domain name (read here to learn more on how to choose the right domain name)
- set up WordPress using an automatic and easy-to-use installation
- change the way your website looks by choosing a free WordPress theme or by getting a premium one on places like Themeforest, Mojo Themes and WooThemes
- start enjoying your brand-new website! 🙂
If you enjoyed this guide and have friends who could benefit from it, please SHARE it with them. Feel free to tell us about your experience setting up a website/blog in less than 5 minutes! Leave us a comment on Facebook, Twitter and Google+, we would love to know more about you!