Facebook is the most visited website in the world, with more than 750 million users. This powerful social media can help connect with other people, create a community of fans and showcase yourself in front of millions of people.
This article will tell you everything you need to know to set up a proper Facebook page to promote yourself.
You almost certainly know Facebook, so let’s get right into it.
These are some of the things you can do to promote your band, jazz club and festival on Facebook:
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]Set up a band/artist Page and be able to switch between you personal profile and this page[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]Customize the url of your page[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]Create great content and share it directly with your fans[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]Share pictures, videos, etc.[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]Create events[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]Reach millions of people in just a few seconds[/list]
and much more!
Why You Should Promote Yourself Using a Facebook Page Rather Than Your Profile
When you start promoting yourself on Facebook, you should consider creating a Facebook page. It’s very similar to the traditional Personal profile page, but it has a couple of important differences.
Here are some of the features of a Facebook Page:
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]It allows you to keep your personal details private[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]On a personal Facebook profile, you can have up to 5,000 friends, but there is NO LIMIT on the number of fans you can have on a Facebook artist page[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]It lets anyone see what you post[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]People can like a Facebook page becoming ‘fans’, rather than friends[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]If you are a band or work in a team, each member can manage the page. Having multiple admins can really come in handy![/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]Anyone can run an ad on Facebook, but some of the most effective ad campaigns – like the one designed to increase the number of fans – are available only for Facebook pages[/list]
[list icon=”moon-thumbs-up-2″ color=”#911938″]Page Insights: the analytics, the stats you need to improve your Facebook marketing efforts (for example a full demographic breakdown of your fans and page visitors)[/list]
How to Create a Facebook Artist Page
In case you are not a Facebook user, you are about to become one. In fact, in order to create an artist page, you will have to have a personal profile on Facebook.
Now, here is how to get started with the creation of your Facebook Artist Page:
1. Go to www.facebook.com/pages/create
2. Select a category among the ones on display (for example “Artist, Band, or Public Figure” if you are a band or “Local Business or Place” for a jazz club)
3. Once you have chosen one, choose a sub-category from the drop-down menu, fill in the fields that there might be, tick the box with the text “I agree to Facebook Pages Terms” and click on “Get Started”
4. Once that is selected, you will get a drop-down menu where you will want to select “Musician/Band”
5. Start to complete your profile with a short description and a link to your website
Customize Your URL
Customizing the url for your Facebook page is critical in getting new fans. Let’s face it, it’s much easier to remember www.facebook.com/JazzSpotlight than www.facebook.com/3124023041 isn’t it? 🙂
Before you start customizing the url of your page there’s something you should keep in mind: you can change the url only ONCE! Once you have chosen a url, it won’t be possible to change it anymore.
So, in order to create your own url you need to:
1. Log into your Facebook account (the one that serves as admin for your Facebook Page)
2. Go to www.facebook.com/username
3.You will see two boxes. The one that interests you is the one below (the one that says “Create your Facebook web address”). Select the appropriate page from the drop-down menu
4. Enter the desired username and click “Check Availability”. If you choice is available, you will see a box warning you that you won’t be able to change your username (the url for the page), once this is set
5. Click “Confirm” and pat yourself on the back: you have now a branded Facebook page! 🙂
Uploading a Sharp-Looking Profile and Cover Picture
Now that you have your page up and running it’s time to focus on visuals. It’s time to brand your page with a profile and cover pictures that will make you stand out from the crowd and that’s easily recognisable by your fans. To do this, you will need two pictures:
- profile picture (it has to be at least 180 x 180px and it’s displayed as a 160 x 160 picture)
- cover photo (851 pixels wide and 315 pixels tall; and it has to be at least 399 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall)
Here below you see the Jazz Spotlight’s Facebook page with the profile picture (marked in red) and cover photo (in green)
Now that you have nice-looking profile and cover pictures it’s time to promote your page.
How to Engage Others on Facebook
There are many ways to promote a Facebook page.
The first thing you want to do is to include the link to your Facebook page on your website and other social media pages (for example on Google+). If you have an email list, inform all of your followers about it. Same for the other social media you might be using already: let everyone know about your new Facebook page.
Another way to announce your Facebook presence is through paid ads. You can create an ad from this page: www.facebook.com/ads/create
Note: you will have to use your personal profile (the one that is set as admin for the page) to create the first ad
To get more ‘likes’ on your Facebook page choose “Page Likes”
After that, you have to choose the page you want to create the ad for and select the features of the campaign (if you only have one Facebook page, you will see only one option):
- images (you can upload up to 6 different images that will be displayed)
- the headline and text of your ad (that will be displayed when the ad is shown on the Facebook news feed)
- choose targeted audience: here you can choose the specifics of your target audience like the country, age, interests and language
- select a daily budget (how much you would like to spend on each day of the campaign)
- choose between “Run my ad continuously” or “Set a start and end date” (if you wish to run your ad during a particular period)
- How to pay: the easiest way to pay for a Facebook ad is through your PayPal account. The first time, you will have to log in to your PayPal to give Facebook the opportunity to charge you whenever an ad is finished. If you don’t have a PayPal account yet, you can get one for free here: www.paypal.com
Now that you have set the ad to promote your Facebook page it’s time to create content! Share your thoughts, your best pictures and videos, create events and mention other Facebook users!
How do you promote yourself on Facebook? Leave your tips in the comment box below!