The Internet and social media have had a great impact on the music business. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and all the other popular Web 2.0 platforms can really help you in terms of promotion.
That is exactly what we are going to talk about today: Effective Online Promotion for Musicians (venues and festivals too!)
In the second episode of The Jazz Spotlight podcast I am very happy to welcome Bobby Owsinski. A music industry veteran and musician, he is also an in-demand sound engineer, blogger, writer for publications like Forbes and he is an expert in online promotion for people in the music industry (his latest book is called Social Media Promotion for Musicians).
Bobby talks about the biggest mistakes he often sees artists making online and gives practical tips that will definitely help you improve the way you promote yourself online!
More specifically, in this episode you’ll learn more about:
- The elements your marketing strategy should feature
- Why you MUST have a website
- Some of the mistakes you are probably making right now (and that are hurting your online presence)
- The biggest mistakes musicians make online (and how you can avoid making them!)
- Facebook’s feature that many artists ignore
- What types of content are popular on Twitter
- The best times to tweet your messages (and the tool Bobby and I use to achieve this)
- The importance of visual on social media (and the type of pictures you should use)
- The different kinds of fans (and the ones you should focus on)
- What you are missing out by not using YouTube to promote yourself
- The way many people look for music on YouTube (hint: you probably didn’t know about it and neither did I)
- How to promote your venue and festival on Pinterest in a way you probably haven’t thought about
- Much more!
Resources and Links Mentioned in This Episode:
- Social Media for Musicians (Bobby’s latest book!)
- www.bobbyowsinski.com (Bobby’s website)
- WordPress (for building your site or blog)
- Weebly (for building your site or blog)
- Squarespace (for building your site or blog)
- Broken Link Checker (the WordPress plugin that scans your website for broken links)
- The Free ebook Online Promotion Toolbox
- www.thejazzspotlight.com/facebook (the article I wrote about Facebook)
- www.thejazzspotlight.com/twitter (the article I wrote about Twitter)
- www.thejazzspotlight.com/hootsuite (Hootsuite, the tool Bobby and I use to time our tweets and posts)
- www.thejazzspotlight.com/googleplus (the article I wrote about Google+ and that tells you more about Google Hangouts)
- www.thejazzspotlight.com/pinterest (the article I wrote about Pinterest)
Thank Bobby on Twitter!
If you enjoyed this episode and would like to personally thank Bobby for his precious tips give him a shout out on Twitter by clicking here