Over the last couple of weeks my guests and I talked about some very interesting topics like how to build and grow an online audience and the effective way to book gigs and plan tours.
Today, I welcome on the show another special guest: British jazz promoter Oliver Weindling.
Based in London, Oliver is well-known in the UK jazz scene both because of his work as promoter (in 2008 he was nominated for a BBC Jazz Award for Services to Jazz and in 2009 was awarded an Honorary ARAM degree from the Royal Academy of Music), for founding the jazz record label Babel Label and for being the Artistic Director of London’s popular venue Vortex Jazz Club.
Oliver comes on the Jazz Spotlight Podcast to talk about his years of experience in the field, from his musical days at university to the establishment of Babel Label and today.
If you want to have a special “behind-the-scenes” look at a jazz label and at one of London’s prominent jazz venues, hit the play button and join us for a very interesting jazz talk!
In This Episode You’ll Hear More About:
- How Oliver “love affair” with jazz started
- The changes Oliver has seen in jazz over the last 20 years
- The Internet’s impact on Oliver’s work as head of a record label
- Oliver’s advice for music promotion
- Oliver’s message for up and coming artists looking for a contract with a record label
- The biggest challenges for Babel Label
- Babel Label’s biggest achievement
- Oliver’s message to record labels
- The beginnings of the Vortex Jazz Club and how it’s run today
- What makes the Vortex different from many other jazz venues
- Why it’s the right kind of music club
- Oliver’s advice on how to build a loyal fan base for your jazz club
- How Oliver and the Vortex Jazz Club team put together monthly lineups
- And more!
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Episode 13: How to Be Your Own Booking Agent: Effective Booking and Tour Planning with Jeri Goldstein
- The past episodes of the Jazz Spotlight Podcast
- The Jazz Spotlight Newsletter
- Oliver’s interview with DownBeat Magazine
- The article I wrote about Spotify
- Episode 4: Soundcloud Mastering with Budi Voogt
- Episode 7: Touring the World with Ezra Brown
- Babel Label’s Facebook Page
- Oliver on Twitter
Thank Oliver on Twitter!
Did you like what Oliver had to say? If you enjoyed this episode of the podcast and would like to personally thank Oliver on Twitter, you can do so by tweeting this