This special edition of the Jazz Spotlight Podcast continues with another star of the 2014 edition of Pori Jazz Festival.
Today I am excited to welcome on the show popular New York-based pianist Marc Cary!
New York-born Marc Cary moved to Washington at a very young age and grew up playing on the D.C. go-go scene, before moving to the Big Apple where he played with jazz greats like Dizzy Gillespie, Betty Carter and Abbey Lincoln, as well as contemporary stars such as Roy Hargrove, Erykah Badu and Q-Tip.
Abbey Lincoln in particular had an impact on his career, and last year Cary paid tribute to her with his piano solo record For the Love of Abbey. Always in 2013, the Marc Cary Focus Trio – Marc Cary on piano, Sameer Gupta on drums and Rashaan Carter on bass – released their new album Four Directions.
Marc Cary comes on the Jazz Spotlight Podcast to talk about performing at Pori Jazz Festival, the Focus Trio, growing up in DC and much more!
In This Episode You’ll Hear More About:
- How the Focus Trio got started
- Where the inspirations for Four Direction came from
- What impact did growing up in Washington D.C. have on Mr. Cary’s career
- How Marc Cary ultimately chose the piano as his instrument
- Mr. Cary’s advice for young jazz musicians
- And More!
Links, People and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Marc Cary’s website
- Episode 16: A Jazz Talk with Kevin Eubanks
- Pori Jazz Festival
- Marc Cary Focus Trio
- Sameer Gupta
- Rashaan Carter
- David Ewell
- Four Directions
- The Jazz Spotlight Podcast
- The podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Like what you heard? Share your passion with others!