It’s time for the grand finale!
The last episode of the special edition of the Jazz Spotlight Podcast with some of the stars of Pori Jazz 2014 is here and features a living-legend.
Today I am simply thrilled to welcome on the show one of the most influential contemporary bassists: Dave Holland!
A 360° musician out of Wolverhampton, UK, he is known for having performed with jazz greats such as Miles Davis and John Coltrane, as well as solo, and with bands- and big bands he has led.
Mr. Holland comes on The Jazz Spotlight Podcast to talk about many things, including his record label Dare2, his career – from his ukulele days at the age of 4, and playing with Miles Davis at 21, to his latest project PRISM – and social media.
In This Episode You’ll Learn More About:
- Some of the places Mr. Holland hasn’t visited yet and would like to
- How he got started with music and his influences growing up
- The jazz bassists who, after listening to their records, led Mr. Holland into buying a bass
- How he became a member of the Miles Davis Quintet
- How he goes from performing solo to being a band leader and performing with ensembles
- The way he uses Twitter and Facebook
- An anecdote about John Coltrane and Miles Davis (you probably haven’t heard about)
- One of the great things about Miles Davis
- Mr. Holland’s record label Dare2
- And more!
Links, People, Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Dare2 (Dave Holland’s own record label)
- Hands (album with Pepe Habichuela)
- Kevin Eubanks (who was also a guest of the podcast)
- Overtime (record by the Dave Holland Big Band)
Share Your Passion!
If you enjoyed this interview with Dave Holland, make sure to share this episode on Twitter!