Whether you’re a singer or an instrumentalist, if you’re hungry for more gigs, this episode of the Jazz Spotlight Podcast is for YOU.
Today, I’m simply thrilled to welcome on the show British jazz promoter Tony Dudley-Evans! Tony shares with us some of the things he talked about during his jazz talk How to Get Gigs at Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
In over 50 years in the jazz promotion business, Tony has seen and listened to a bunch of jazz acts, from up and coming artists to established names. Now a jazz adviser of the Jazzlines programme at the Town Hall Symphony Hall in Birmingham, and artistic advisor for Cheltenham Jazz Festival, he comes on the show to talk about the things artists should have and ought to do in order to get gigs.
Sure, people are different and everyone has his/her own strategy, but trust me on this one: Tony’s tips will definitely steer you in the right direction – be it for a series of gigs in your city, a regional tour or a national (or international!) tour.
If you have advice, suggestions or comments, make sure to share them with others at the bottom of this post.
Ah, and don’t forget to tweet this episode with people you think could benefit from it!
Today You’ll Hear More About:
- How Tony started his 50-year career as jazz promoter
- How, according to Tony, jazz music has changed over the last 5-10 years
- What artists should have and do before contacting promoters, music venues and festivals to get gigs
- Some of the mistakes artists make when looking for gigs
- The impact reviews can have on your “gig hunting”
- The importance of giving the audience a great live experience
- The things Tony, as jazz promoter, takes into consideration when he is contacted by musicians
- How social media can help, when looking for gigs
- A well-known American band (whose leader has been a guest on the podcast!) who is a good example of how to break into the British market
- Tony’s message to other jazz promoters
- And more!
Links, People and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Jazzlines programme at Town Hall Symphony Hall in Birmingham
- Town Hall Symphony Hall in Birmingham
- Tony’s article about his talk at Cheltenham Jazz Festival
- Episode 7: Touring the World with Ezra Brown
- Episode 13: How to Be Your Own Booking Agent: Effective Booking and Tour Planning with Jeri Goldstein
- Jazz Services‘ Touring Programme (UK)
- Tony’s Twitter Page
- Tony’s Wikipedia Page
- The Jazz Breakfast
- Episode 2: Effective Online Promotion with Bobby Owsinski
- Episode 4: Soundcloud Mastering with Budi Voogt
If you like jazz, share the love!
Was this episode useful for you? Or perhaps you know someone who could benefit from the things Tony and I talked about. If so, make sure to share the link to this episode with your friends and fans!