Happy National Podcast Day!
Today it’s National Podcast Day and there’s no better way to celebrate it than bringing you another episode of the Jazz Spotlight Podcast.
Before we dive into today’s content, though, I would like to thank you for being with me week after week.
It means the world to me.
In case this is the first time listening to TJS Podcast, welcome! You can find all the previous episodes of the show here.
Now I have a couple of questions for you.
Have you ever wondered how is a record label founded? What are the things labels look at, when seeking new musicians for their roster?
If you have asked yourself questions like these before, you are in the right place!
Today, I am happy to welcome on the show Dave Stapleton, founder of London-based music label Edition Records. In this episode, you will learn more about the jazz label of popular jazz artists such as Tim Garland, MOBO-nominated band Phronesis and Verneri Pohjola, among others.
Dave comes on the show to talk about how Edition Records was founded, what the typical day of a record label looks like, what he would do differently if he was to found another label and to discuss the way musicians promote their music.
What makes this episode even more valuable, is the fact that Dave offers his insight from the perspective of both a record label and artist – as he is also a talented pianist.
Sit back, relax and join Dave & I as we discuss Edition Records, online promotion and networking [don’t forget to tweet about National Podcast Day and this episode]!
Today, You’ll Hear More About:
- How Edition Records was founded
- Dave’s typical day as founder of a record label
- What Dave would do differently, if he was to start a label once again
- Which are the most important things musicians should highlight on their website
- Your site as the hub of your activities
- A problem many musicians’ sites have
- The use of social media from the point of view of a record label and musicians
- One of the biggest mistakes artists make on Twitter
- And More!
Links, People and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Episode 7: Touring the World with Ezra Brown
- Episode22: A Jazz Talk with Dave Holland
- TJS Podcast on iTunes
Give Dave and Edition Records a Shout Out on Twitter!
Happy to have learned more about Edition Records? Give Dave Stapleton and Edition Records a shout out on Twitter!