If you have been with me in the past, then you know that A Jazz with is a series that brings you interviews with some of the very best performers in the world.
Past episodes of the Jazz Spotlight Podcast have featured top music industry experts, record labels, managers, award-winning authors. An incredible group of guests who have shared practical tips and resources and told us what is happening in the music industry today.
As for A Jazz Talk with, the list of world-class artists who have appeared on the show includes jazz legends Dave Holland and Dee Dee Bridgewater, Kevin Eubanks, Michael League of the Grammy-winning band Snarky Puppy and contemporary stars Jamie Cullum, José James and Zara McFarlane, among others.
Today’s guest is truly an all-around performer. Nicolas Bearde is an internationally renowned jazz recording artist who has performed at many of the world’s finest jazz venues and important festivals. From the Monterey and San Jose Jazz Festivals to Alfa Jazz in Russia, with jazz stops in San Francisco, New York and L.A. Bearde keeps a full calendar.
The Nashville-born singer rose to prominence as a member of Bobby McFerrin’s wildly innovative acappella ensemble Voicestra, while carving out a successful career as a soloist.
In addition to his performance work, Bearde is very active in the development of young artists and creative talents through various workshops and teaching positions (he also serves as voice panel chairperson for the Young Arts Scholarship Organization).
Nicolas Bearde also maintains a career as film, television and stage actor and has appeared on the big screen along with Hollywood stars like Clint Eastwood, Richard Gere and Kim Basinger, as well as in popular TV shows such as Monk and Nash Bridges.
In this episode, Mr. Bearde discusses his career, his successful crowdfunding campaign and gives out some advice for those who wish to pursue a career as performers and recording artists.
Today, You’ll Hear More About:
- How he started his career and what he would do differently, if he could go back
- The #1 tool Mr. Bearde has been using to build an international fanbase
- Mr. Bearde’s successful crowdfunding campaign
- His advice for artists who are about to have their first performance
- The difference, from a performance point of view, between performing at a large event or venue vs. having an intimate gig
- What to keep in mind when performing abroad
- Mr. Bearde’s advice on how to keep your voice at its best
- And More!
Resources, People and Links Mentioned in This Episode:
- www.nicolasbearde.com (Nicolas Bearde’s site)
- TJS 021: A Jazz Talk with Jamie Cullum
- TJS 025: A Jazz Talk with Dee Dee Bridgewater
- “You’re Sensational – Jazz for the Soul” Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign
- Mr. Bearde’s workshops
Show Mr. Bearde some Twitter love!
If enjoyed this episode and the tips Nicolas Bearde shared with us, make sure to give him a shout out on Twitter! Click here for showing him some love!
There are more great podcast episodes coming your way! Do you want to make sure you won’t miss a single one? Subscribe to the TJS Podcast!