Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂 [tweet “Happy Thanksgiving” to others!]
I have to tell you, there couldn’t be a better timing for today’s episode than the season of giving!
If you are a music fan, you are probably all about showing your support to your favorite artists. If you are a musician, then you are probably thinking about how you can give back to your fanbase for its support during these months.
In some cases, however, what you are working on is so big that you actually face a critical challenge: costs.
Some time ago, Andrew Read of MFM media came on the podcast to talk about how musicians can overcome the obstacle of financial costs by turning to their fans with a crowdfunding campaign. You may also remember Nextbop Editor-in-Chief Anthony Dean-Harris, who told us about how the Art of Cool Project launched a crowdfunding Kickstarter project to finance next year festival.
If crowdfunding is something you have been thinking about, or if you have just launched your campaign on places like Kickstarter or IndieGoGo, you are going to love this episode!
My guest today is Kickstarter Community Manager for Music Hayley Rosenblum. Before joining Kickstarter, Hayley worked closely with Amanda Palmer – who, by rising over a million dollar, has become one of the most famous success stories of crowdfunding.
In this episode, Hayley discusses the features of a successful crowdfunding campaign, how to launch and promote a campaign, what to do in the final days and tells us more about some of the incredible music crowdfunding campaigns she has seen on Kickstarter (yes, the list includes more details about Amanda Palmer’s campaign!).
For the season of giving, I bring you what is without doubts one of the best episodes of the Jazz Spotlight Podcast!
Get your pen and paper ready(or open your Evernote), because there is plenty to learn today. Whether you are looking for an alternative way to fund a project, are curious and want to learn more about crowdfunding or are planning to launch your own campaign soon, this episode is going to tell you everything you need to know to get started in the world of crowdfunding.
Again, Happy Thanksgiving and have fun! 🙂
Today, You’ll Learn More About:
- What Hayley does as Kickstarter’s Community Manager for Music and what she did before that
- The all-or-nothing aspect of Kickstarter
- What you should think about and do before starting a crowdfunding campaign
- Why the community aspect of Kickstarter is very important
- The narrative behind Amanda Palmer’s big campaign and how she rose over $1 million on Kickstarter
- What makes GREAT rewards and examples of Amanda’s rewards
- 3 components your crowdfunding campaign should have
- How many levels of rewards you should have
- Common crowdfunding mistakes musicians make
- What to do once you have launched your Kickstarter campaign and during the last days before the deadline
- And More!
Resources, People and Links Mentioned in This Episode:
- Episode 28: A Jazz Talk with Brian Culbertson
- Episode 40: A Jazz Talk with Nicolas Bearde
- The jazz category on Kickstarter
- Kickstarter’s creator handbook
Give Hayley a Shout Out on Twitter!
If you agree with me and think that Hayley rocked, make sure to thank her!