Duane Eubanks is the quintessential modern jazzman.
He comes from a family of musicians (some of you probably remember episode 16, which featured his brother, guitar superstar Kevin Eubanks), played along with jazz greats such as Wynton Marsalis, Billy Taylor and Johnny Coles while studying jazz at Temple University, and he is a very popular artist.
Winner of two Grammy Awards as a member of the Dave Holland’s Big Band, he’s known for both his work as soloist and band leader, as well as for his collaborations both in jazz and in other genres (like the ones with Alicia Keys and Wu-Tang Clan).
But Duane Eubanks is more than a popular musician.
In fact, in addition to sold-out shows, international tours and various recordings, he’s also a very active music educator. Since 1998, he has been a faculty member of the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music and in 2013, for his services to music education, he was awarded an Eddy Award by the Philadelphia Education Fund.
Today, Duane Eubanks is here on the Jazz Spotlight Podcast to talk about his latest album Things of That Particular Nature, that has received several positive reviews by the likes of DownBeat Magazine, The New York City Jazz Record and All About Jazz. In this album, which is the first as band leader in the latest 10 years, he leads the Duane Eubanks Quintet, group that features another past guest of the show: pianist Marc Cary.
Join Duane Eubanks & I in this inspiring conversation, that is all about jazz inspiration, the business side of music and what it means to be a musician in 2015.
Today, You’ll Hear More About:
- Duane Eubanks’ musical family and influences
- How musicians can look for mentors
- What moving to New York City meant for Duane’s career
- Why you aren’t going to sound like Miles Davis and John Coltrane (and why that’s ok)
- What it really means to be a band leader vs. being a band member
- The essential aspects of being a musician in 2015 (and the business side of your music career)
- Duane’s new album Things of That Particular Nature
- The promotional aspects of releasing a new record
- And Much More!
Resources, People and Links Mentioned in This Episode:
- www.duaneeubanks.com (Duane Eubanks’ site)
- Things of That Particular Nature (Duane’s latest album)
Give Duane Eubanks a Shout Out on Twitter!TY so much @DuaneEubanks for this inspiring #jazz interview! Wishin' you all the best! Click To Tweet