Ok, so here’s the deal.
You are about to head into the studio and work on your new record. You put in the work, have some fun and finally come up with an album that you are proud of and can’t wait to share with others. What do you do now?
How do you promote your music?
Perhaps you have already planned the CD release gig and are thinking about how to launch your new album. How do you do that?
If you have been planning your record launch and have been working on your music promotion and distribution strategies, you are in the right place.
Today, I welcome on the show CD Baby’s Director of Marketing Kevin Breuner to talk about album release strategies and music distribution.
For those who aren’t familiar with it, CD Baby is an online music store that specializes in the sale of CDs and music downloads for indie musicians. It’s also a digital aggregator of indie music recordings and distributes content to various online music retailers.
And it does more than this.
In fact, CD Baby also provides additional services for artists, such as royalty collection and YouTube monetization.
In addition to directing CD Baby’s marketing operations, Kevin is also a member of the Grammy-nominated band Smalltown Poets and host of the DIY Musician Podcast. The show features interviews with promoters, lawyers, publishers, bookers, and artists of all styles and backgrounds. On the DIY Musician Podcast, Kevin and co-hosts Chris Bolton and Chris Robley also share tips, tricks, breaks, and mistakes – all in the name of being indie.
In this episode of the Jazz Spotlight Podcast, you will hear more on CD Baby and what it has to offer to you, Kevin’s #1 marketing tip and advice on how to plan your album release and distribute your music online.
Ready to have some fun? If you hare, tweet this!
Today You’ll Learn More About:
- What CD Baby can do for independent musicians
- Publishing money that wasn’t available to independent musicians in the past, but is today
- Kevin’s advice for artists who want to promote their music on their own
- An assumption musician make, which is sabotaging their music promotion
- The one thing you need to make people interested in what you do
- A mistake many musicians make when they have a new release
- The album-making steps many artists ignore (and why this is hurting them)
- Kevin’s #1 marketing tip
- And More!
Resources, People and Links Mentioned in This Episode:
- CD Baby.com (online music store)
- CD Baby.net (services for independent musicians)
- CD Baby’s How to Make Money from YouTube
- CD Baby Free (sell your music online for free)
- Smalltown Poets (Kevin’s Grammy-nominated band)
- Episode 22: A Jazz Talk with Dave Holland
Thank Kevin on Twitter!
Had some fun? Learned something new? Give Kevin a shout out on Twitter and share this podcast episodes with your friends and followers!